Mary "Pat" (Hiller) Call WASP Collection
The Mary "Pat" (Hiller) Call WASP Collection consists of materials relating to Call’s service as a Women Airforce Service Pilot (WASP) from 1942-1944. Materials are arranged alphabetically and span from 1939-2019 (bulk 1943-1980).
The collection consists of about 0.6 cubic feet of material, including military records, licenses and membership cards, flight records and logbooks, correspondence, photographs, ephemera, and clippings. Correspondence in the collection includes a recruitment telegram; acknowledgements of her military work, including a thank-you letter from Jacqueline Cochran; and letters relating to recognition of veteran status for WASPs. The collection also includes a 36-page memoir written by Call detailing her service and life during and after the war, as well as transcripts of oral histories by Call and Faith Buchner Richards.
Photographs in the collection consist of 61 black-and-white snapshots. Fifty-seven of the photos were originally affixed to loose album pages but were removed for preservation purposes; their original order has been retained. Three loose prints have captions, and many of the prints removed from the album pages have captions written on the backs, though the writing is partially obscured by glue. The images primarily depict Call and other WASP servicewomen and were likely taken in Texas. Other images were taken at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington.
The collection contains a few audiovisual items, including a VHS recording of the Skagit County Historical Museum program Those Who Served: Stories from WACS and WAVES of WWII, dated from November 10, 2002; a VHS copy of the CSPAN airing of the WASP Gold Medal Ceremony, 2010; two DVD disks of an oral history with Pat Call, titled Women Went to Work and WWII Women’s History Project; a DVD copy of WASP Recognition on King 5 News, April 7, 2010; a DVD titled WASP Homecoming 2013 – 70th Year, Sweetwater, Texas; and a DVD titled WASP Homecoming 2013 – 70th Anniversary Movie. Additionally, there are four audiocassette tapes labeled “Call Saga,” numbered 1-8.
Digitized Materials: Visual and textual materials related to Call's WASP career have been digitized from this collection.
Please note that materials on TMOF: Digital Collections are presented as historical objects and are unaltered and uncensored. See our Disclaimers and Policies page for more information.
- Mary "Pat" (Hiller) Call WASP Collection
- Box: 1, Folder: 11 - Photographs, 1943-1944, undated
- Box: 1, Folder: 12 - "Report on Women Pilot Program" by Jacqueline Cochran, 1945
- Box: 1, Folder: 13 - Song lyric sheets, undated (circa 1940s)
- Box: 1, Folder: 15 - WASP Congressional Gold Medal Ceremony -- ephemera, 2009-2010
- Box: 1, Folder: 2 - Correspondence, 1943-1982
- Box: 1, Folder: 4 - Flight training records, 1943-1944
- Box: 1, Folder: 5; Oversize - Licenses, certificates and diplomas, 1940-1997
- Box: 1, Folder: 6 - Logbooks, 1940-1946
- Box: 1, Folder: 7 - Mary "Pat" Hiller Call -- memoir typescript, 2019
- Box: 1, Folder: 9 - Military records, 1943-1955