Disclaimers & Policies
Materials on TMOF: Digital Collections are presented as historical objects and are unaltered and uncensored, except in rare cases where personal information is redacted for privacy concerns. Please note that materials may sometimes contain offensive content such as derogatory, outdated, or biased language or express discriminatory opinions. Additionally, some materials may include graphic depictions of violent events and their consequences, such as wartime scenes or scenes of aviation crashes including human suffering or death, which some people may find disturbing. The documents, images, publications, audiovisual materials, and other items have been preserved in their original state and context for their historical significance and do not reflect the values of the Museum but rather the social attitudes and circumstances of the period or place in which they were created.
At the Museum we aim to carefully describe our collections in an informative and accurate manner that is respectful of the creators of the collections, those represented in the materials, and those who may use the collections. We are committed to using inclusive, anti-racist, non-derogatory language when describing our collections. We acknowledge that we sometimes describe communities of which we are not a part, and some of these communities may be historically marginalized and underrepresented in the archives. We also recognize that we may sometimes fail and are committed to a process of constant reflection and improvement. If you find inaccurate descriptions or harmful or offensive language in the collection descriptions created by Museum staff, please contact email@example.com. We welcome your feedback.
The Museum of Flight makes every effort to ensure that it has appropriate rights to provide access to content through our digital collections website. These materials are made available for educational and scholarly use.
If you are a rights holder of materials featured on our digital collections website and believe that our inclusion of these materials violates your rights, (e.g., inclusion is not covered by Fair Use or other exemption to a copyright holder's rights), please contact us via our research request form or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the following:
- Your name and contact information.
- The exact URL where you found the material.
- The reason why you believe that your rights have been violated, with any pertinent documentation.
- A statement that you in good faith believe that use of the material in this manner is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in your notification is accurate and that you are the rights holder or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner.
Upon receipt of a takedown request, the Museum's Collections staff will:
- Promptly acknowledge the request via email or other means of communication, if you do not have an email account.
- Assess the validity of the request.
- If necessary, temporarily remove the material from our website while we assess the concern.
Upon completion of the assessment, we will take appropriate action and communicate that action to you.
Before submitting a takedown request, we ask that you consider this option very carefully. Your content helps us fulfill the Museum's mission of preserving and providing access to historically significant air and space materials. We urge you to let us make them available and accessible.